Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas '08

Well another one has come and gone. I don't know, if it wasn't for the kids, Christmas wouldn't mean a lot to me. I already had most of my presents. Or I buy my own. The kids already had their big ticket items, too. They wanted ipods. They were about the only kids they know without them. They don't always get really nice stuff or the best of everything, so I got them ipods. They loved them so much, I went and bought me one. I love it, too. It was buy that or a banjo. I figured I could take the ipod way more places. People frown at you when you travel or walk around playing a banjo, esp if you're just learning to play it.
The highlight of Christmas comes to us from Bill. Bill is kind of hard to buy for. A pain is the freaking ass really. Nothing you get her is ever perfect. Six months to 2 years later she'll bitch about every present she has got. Her reaction opening them is usually "Oh, ok. What else did I get?" So yesterday I got her. It made my whole Christmas. Bill has a HUGE crush on Sidney Crosby. She doesn't really like sports, but when the Penquins are on TV she is glued to it. So I wanted to get her a jersey. I hoped she'd like it, but with her you just never know. So I started looking for one. They are not cheap! Replicas are $160-$180 and authentics are $260! I already spent $200 ea on their ipods, so this was just impossible. Enter my friend K. She went on ebay and found me one for WAY less. We ordered it and it got here in plenty of time. My Mom put it in a plastic ice cream bucket and wrapped it. Yes, my Mommy wraps all the presents I give. I'm spoiled like that. At Mom and Dad's Christmas AM we get the presents passed out to everyone (Powrkitten, Bill, my neice, her son and my folks) I only have one package to open since I already have my stuff so I can just watch everyone. Bill picked the round present first. She took the paper off and said "wow, melted vanilla ice cream. How did you know I wanted this?" She laughed and took the lid off. As she pulled the paper out and saw the jersey she turned pink and started whispering "oh gosh, is it? oh my God, does it have his name?" and stuff as she pulled it out and looked at it. She turned red and was fighting back tears. It was incredible. She was so excited. She started going on and on to me thanking me and telling me how much she loves it. She put it on right away before she opened anything else. I think it's the happiest I have been on Christmas in years.
I got her a Joker t-shirt, too. She loves the Joker. I got Powrkitten an "Edward" t-shirt from Twilight. Mom put the wrong tag on the box and Bill opened it. She looked kind of stunned when she saw it. I said "Um, that's your sisters" and she laughed and said something about that being good and threw it at her sister. Powerkitten started squealing with glee and immediatly put it on. She LOVES those books and the movie. So they have their ipods, t-shirts and some other stuff and are pretty happy.
I have my leather jacket I got right after Thanksgiving and I got a new LP smoker. Yes I am a BBQ and smokin' fool. The smoker is going as I type this with some chicken thighs and a big pork roast. YUMMY!!!!! In case you didn't know, I love to cook and I'm pretty damn good. Esp with the outdooors grilling and smokin'.
I also got a little radio controlled helicopter for indoors. (think chasing the cocker spaniel around.) Well it doesn't want to leave the ground. Dad and I tried everything. So he finally told me to go in the spare room and get the backup. They bought two just incase this happened. The 2nd one was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for 2 minutes and then it crashed and burned. Well, it didn't burn but it is fucked up beyond repair. Damn it. It was fun while it lasted. I'm going to go out later and buy a better one. Wish me, and the dog, luck.

2 comments:

Malskeys said...

That is awesome! K-Rae is the same way.... She is always grateful but you can see her opening presents and then putting them in one of two piles... the return and the keep.... in the earlier years the return pile was always bigger... LOL...

Love you fool!

Bird Shit said...

UGGHHH not Sid the Kid! of course I am partial because I am a Flyers fan. Sounds like a great Christmas!!!